Friday, June 10, 2011

A Great Breakfast Packed with Protein, Vitamin C & Fiber




I got out of bed pretty early this morning. Again no means of transportation due to my truck still being in the shop. On a normal day I would be at the coffee shop I was running by 5:00AM and my day would be going at full speed. Now that I have chosen another path it gives me more time to spend on making sure that I get back to my healthy eating habits. I decided to do an old favorite that Ashton's grandmother used to make for us with tons of seasoning and cooked in butter. Don't get me wrong. Boy was it good! She would serve it with rice filled with butter & sugar with biscuits and some type of home made jam or jelly. My version is simple, healthy and filling.

I decided to prepare grandma Janice's Tuna and Egg Scramble (my healthy rendition) topped with a little of the Habanero Jelly I purchased at the West Broadway Farmers Market last Sunday and a side of fresh Bing cherries. Just as an FYI....tuna and eggs pack tons of protein and the cherries provide some of the daily requirements for vitamin c and fiber. Who knew about the fiber? I didn't until doing a little research for my post today. Below is the recipe for the Tuna and Egg Scramble. I hope you enjoy it!

Tuna & Egg Scramble 

3 Eggs
1/3 cup of tuna flakes ( if tuna is canned make sure it was packed in water)
crushed red peppers ( just a pinch) optional
1/4 tsp. of fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. of garlic powder
kosher salt (just a pinch)

Put eggs, black pepper, garlic powder, crushed red peppers and kosher salt in a bowl and mix well. Then add tuna (if tuna is canned please drain all liquid). Mix again.

Place ingredients in a hot pan that has been sprayed with a cooking spray. I use Pam Cooking Spray with Olive Oil.  Any brand will do.

Place contents in pan and continue to scramble eggs until done. JUST A NOTE: You can take eggs off of heat during the last several seconds of cooking as they will continue to cook without over cooking.

Last but not least plate eggs and top with a small amount of your guilty pleasure. I have even topped with different types of cheese's such as romano, cheddar and feta. Every taste was different, unique and flavorful.


No comments:

Post a Comment